Tuesday, July 7

Tiny Tim

Google Image Search brought this to me and I realized this dog is named Tiny Tim because it limps like the sick little boy in A Christmas Carol. When I was little my family and I saw Tiny Tim near the baggage claim at JFK. My only memory is that he was wearing a suit with his pants pulled up high, and from there I could see his decorative, child-like socks. I didn't know to look for Miss Vicki and I don't know if she would've been traveling with him anymore, anyway.In middle school I heard about CelebrityMorgue.com from Howard Stern's radio show, which I listened to as part of my early-morning ritual. On the website I saw Tiny Tim for the second time in my life - arms crossed, in a coffin.However, it was not until his cover of, "Living in the Sunlight, Loving in the Moonlight," appeared in a sequence on the first episode of Sponge Bob Square Pants did I finally get what was going on. His ukulele and his falsetto and his song choice and the fake drum sounds were everything I needed. Tiny Tim was made for me to love him, and a powerful spiritual force had been trying to inform me for almost a decade. And who was I or who had I been, unknowingly or with good conscience, to turn away from the ordained? The man speaks quickly and with his listeners in mind; his minimal success coming from his work as a one-man midway. He appeared on network talk shows, putting forth a awkwardly meek but shameless persona, getting laughed at by the hosts and their studio audiences, and then taking his ukulele out of its case and playing to loud applause. While Tiny Tim was obviously in control of his weirdness, how much of it was natural? Past the spouting nose and dark, sunken eyes, did he find himself attractive with rough, unkempt hair and flamboyant clothing -- the way I see myself at my best? When he finally found love in a 17-year-old (Miss Vicki), did he see himself as pathetic, or just proven right?By the time he covered Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy," Tiny Tim was coffin-bound. The video came in the 80's, preceding the renewed popularity of the song as fostered by Ally McBeal. Tiny was bloated, wearing tight clothes in all-one-color, and surrounded by women with bangs and red lipstick. It was depressing, repetitive, and of home movie-quality. Soon after its release, Tiny Tim fell off a stage during a ukulele festival; he never really got back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment